At Coast Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Centre we are committed to ensuring you are safe before, during and after treatment…
At Coast Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Centre on the Sunshine Coast, your safety is our number one priority, and we have dedicated this page to helping you understand what will need to be conducted prior to and after your surgery. Our oral and maxillofacial surgeons and our nursing staff will go through your pre-operative and post-operative instructions at your consultation appointment.
Pre-operative instructions for those undergoing intravenous sedation or general anaesthesia in hospital…
- Do not consume any food or drink (including water) for a minimum of six (6) hours prior to the appointment.
- A responsible adult must accompany you to and from the surgery.
- Please wear comfortable clothing and low-heeled shoes. Contact lenses, jewellery, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Please continue your daily medication unless otherwise instructed.
- Women please note: Some antibiotics may interfere with the effectiveness of your birth control pills. Please check with your pharmacist.
After surgery to extract teeth or other procedures, a certain amount of bleeding, pain and/or swelling is normal. It is important you don’t eat or drink anything hard or hot and you avoid strenuous exercise for at least 24 hours following surgery. Do not rinse vigorously or spit for 24 hours, as this can hinder the formation of a blood clot which is necessary for full healing.
It is important to maintain good oral hygiene so brushing your teeth, avoiding the surgery site is
Take care of your mouth after surgery…
- Do not rinse or spit for 24 hours after surgery
- Keep fingers and tongue away from socket or surgical area
- Use ice packs on the side of the face adjacent to the surgical area for first 48 hours; apply ice 20 minutes on – 10 minutes off.
- For mild discomfort take paracetamol, mersyndol or Ibuprofen every three to four hours
- Drink plenty of fluids (Do not use a straw)
- Diet may consist of soft foods which can be easily chewed and swallowed.
- Do not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following the surgery.
- Take all medications prescribed post-operatively