Dental implants are known throughout the world as a revolutionary technique to replace teeth. They are made out of strong, durable materials and are the first tooth replacement method that is known to last a life time if taken care of properly.
Find out what dental implants are, what they do, the success rates of dental implants and why a bone graft could be needed with Coast Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Centre in on the Sunshine Coast
What are dental implants and why are they used?
Dental implants are permanent replacement for teeth. They are made up of 3 main components:
- Firstly there is the titanium tooth root replacement. This is the implant that gives the treatment its name. The implant is scientifically fabricated out of bio-compatible materials so that it will not be rejected by the body like other foreign substances. Through the process of osseointegration, the dental implant sets into the jaw bone.
- Where the dental implant replaces the tooth root, the dental crown replaces the tooth’s crown. Basically, the dental crown is the part of the tooth that replicates the visible part of the tooth. Crowns are made from strong porcelain materials and are colour graded and shaped to fit in perfectly with your natural teeth.
- The abutment is a small titanium piece that is attached to the dental implant. This part connects the dental implant to the dental crown.
Why should you replace your teeth with dental implants?
Replacing your teeth is important not only for your appearance but for your overall oral health. Missing teeth can cause a lot of other concerns for the patient.
What happens when you don’t replace your teeth?
Leaving gaps in your smile can lead to one or more of the following issues:
- Your other teeth may try to fill the gaps causing misalignment with teeth and bite
- The gums may become infected, leading to periodontitis and further tooth loss
- Jaw bone and gums can recede causing premature aging of your appearance
- Your appearance may be affected, which can lead to self-esteem concerns
What is the success rate of dental implants?
The success of your dental implants is subjective to a number of different variables. Factors like gum health, bone density, lifestyle habits and oral hygiene practices may play a part in the success of your dental implants.
Although more research is needed for conclusive evidence of the success rate of dental implants, in optimal conditions and when the procedure is carried out by a professional surgeon, dental implants are known to have a 97% chance of success.
Why do some people need bone grafts for dental implants?
If the patent has suffered from loss of bone density or the patient naturally has not a lot of bone, a bone graft may be necessary to give the patient sufficient jaw bone to support one or more dental implants.
Why you should choose oral and maxillofacial surgeons for your dental implant treatments
An oral and maxillofacial surgeon is highly qualified to perform surgical processes that involve teeth, gums and jaws. Our surgeons at Coast Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery are talented and experienced in the oral surgical field. Our expertise ranges from wisdom teeth removal, corrective jaw surgery, oral cancer management, TMJ disorder resolution, bone grafting and of course dental implant treatments including single tooth replacement, multiple tooth replacement and the All-on-4 dental implant technique.