At Coast Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Centre we strive to provide you with high quality oral and maxillofacial surgical procedures so you can benefit from a healthy and functional mouth for the long-term.
Dr Ian Wilson
Dr Wilson qualified from Bachelor of Dental Surgery at the University of Sydney in 1978, completing his Master of Dental Surgery in 1985.
He then gained a Fellowship from the Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons during his formal training in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery at Westmead Hospital in Sydney. His training was completed when he successfully obtained the Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons in the Special Field of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery in 1989.
Dr Wilson was then appointed as a Consultant Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon to Royal Newcastle Hospital and subsequently in 1991 to The John Hunter Hospital where he was Director of the Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Unit from February 1995 to January 2011. Dr Wilson has also completed a Graduate Diploma in Arts (Theology) and has an Advanced Diploma in Counselling (conducting counselling under Revive Counselling Services).
Dr Wilson commenced Private practice in 1989, initially in the Newcastle CBD, and then moving to the Broadmeadow Surgical Centre in 1998.
Dr Wilson undertakes a variety of oral & maxillofacial surgical procedures including:
- Removal of impacted teeth such as third molars (wisdom teeth).
- Removal of retained roots or fractured/ broken down teeth
- Apicectomies (to treat dental abscesses not resolved by root canal therapy).
- “Exposure and bonding” of impacted teeth (usually canines) to assist with orthodontic tooth alignment.
- Mucosal biopsies of mouth lesions
- Diagnosis and management of bone pathology such as jaw cysts.
- Bone grafting for alveolar (gum bone) defects in patients with cleft lip and/or palate
- Jaw re-alignment surgery where your teeth or bite cannot be aligned with orthodontics alone.
- Dental implant surgery (including the “all-on-4™” technique) to replace missing or decayed teeth and a variety of bone grafting techniques to facilitate this.
Dr Wilson first trained in Dental Implant surgery in 1991. Since that time he has completed many courses including:
- “All-on-4™” in 2008 with Dr Paulo Malo in Lisbon, Portugal.
- Zygomatic implants with Dr Brent Allen
- Advanced Soft Tissue Regeneration Techniques in Implant Therapy and Advanced Sinus and Posterior Maxillary Augmentation Techniques In Implant Therapy in 2016 in Bupapest, Hungary.
- Essentials of Trefoil system with Dr Glen Liddelow in 2017, Sydney.
He has gained an extensive range of experience to deal with all implant situations, from the simplest to the most complex.